TAL hosted a successful meeting on November 20, with more than 60 people in attendance to learn about the Northwestern University Midwest Academic Talent Search program. Families with children in FPS from 2nd grade through 9th grade attended, as well as families from Livonia Webster school and Our Lady of Sorrows.
Guest speaker Kathee McDonald presented details of the NUMATS program via Skype. A link to her PowerPoint presentation is below.
To register your child for NUMATS, visit this website: www.ctd.northwestern.edu/numats/register
Fee waivers are available for families in the free and reduced lunch program; please contact the Center for Talent Development for more information at 847/491-3782 or email@example.com.
Some of the programs NUMATS participats are eligible for are linked below.
- Gifted Learning Links online courses: http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/gll/
- Summer camps for gifted students: http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/summer/
Prior to the NUMATS presentation, we discussed several supplemental learning opportunities for gifted or accelerated students, including:
- Stanford EPGY online learning program: www.giftedandtalented.com (TAL may be able to facilitate discounted pricing for this, contact firstname.lastname@example.org if interested)
- Detroit Zoo summer camps: http://detroitzoo.org/education/safari-day-camps (will be updated in February for 2015)
- Schoolcraft College Kids on Campus: http://schoolcraft.edu/business-and-community/continuing-education/kids-on-campus (will be updated in February for 2015; register early because camps fill up quickly)
- Laurel Springs online summer program for world languages: http://laurelsprings.com/grade-k-8/summer-program/
We will update this post with the presentation about EPGY when it becomes available.
-Pam and Tina